Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Review: Survive: A Thriller With a Dystopian Twist

Survive: A Thriller With a Dystopian Twist Survive: A Thriller With a Dystopian Twist by Shawn Underhill
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Synopsis:

“We must, indeed, all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang separately.” 
~ Benjamin Franklin in the Continental Congress before signing the Declaration of Independence. 

Set against the backdrop of the isolated forests north of New Hampshire's White Mountains, while camping on family land, Tom and Lori Thornton (and their dog, Buck) find themselves in a sudden SHTF scenario. 

No cellular service. Dangerous roads. Limited supplies. And far more questions than answers. 

After the shocking murder of Tom's uncle by a band of looters, the couple's already faltering marriage reaches the breaking point amid the chaos. Trust and loyalties are challenged, old friendships are put to the test, and while immediate answers and solutions elude them, they must rely on raw instincts in order to survive. 


My Thoughts:

Cover/Title: I love dystopian books so the title pulled me in. The cover just intrigued me more.

Characters: The characters were ok but I just couldn't connect with them. Especially Tom's wife. She annoyed me at first until I realized that she needed medication. Then I understood but still didn't like her much.

Plot: Tom and his wife planned a small camping trip. That trip became extended when his uncle is murdered and people are acting strange. Tom is determined to keep his family and friends safe but he needs to know what is happening first.

Overall: This might actually be the lowest I scored a dystopian book. Normally, I am hooked but this one had me struggling to get thru it. There was something missing. It was ok but I doubt I will read more of the series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment