Saturday, April 7, 2018

Review: Berkley Street

Berkley Street Berkley Street by Ron Ripley
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Synopsis:

Shane Ryan returns to Nashua and the childhood memories that drove him to join the Marines. After a prolonged legal battle with his aunt and uncle, Shane has possession of the family home where his parents disappeared over 20 years ago. The house, a monstrous castle filled with ghosts and secrets, is more alive than its inhabitants. 

When his aunt and uncle come to town, then vanish, Shane's life takes a turn for the worse. Detective Marie Lafontaine immediately labels Shane as the prime suspect. And in a race against time, Shane desperately searches for clues about his parents. 

But there's something lurking beyond the walls and beneath the surface. Something sinister that has haunted him ever since he saw its face in the pond behind the house. And it isn’t happy that Shane is back. 

It isn’t happy at all.



My Thoughts:

Cover/Title: So the cover and the title didn't really give me much of a hint about what to expect. I picked this book for a Goodreads challenge.

Characters: I found the characters interesting. Shane was interesting and quite different since he literally grew up with ghosts. The ghosts particularly interested me.

Plot: Shane returns to the home he grew up in. The same home that his parents disappeared in 20 years ago. He is determined to talk to the ghosts and find out what happened to his parents.

Overall: This book has an overall creepy vibe to it. That being said, I truly enjoyed this ghost story. It is not your typical ghost story. Yes, some reviewers say it is unrealistic and an over the top exaggeration of house ghosts and people would act. However, that is why I like the book. I want to read make believe things. I want to believe in the impossible (at least for a few hours). This book truly pulls you into the story. Some of the ghosts can be a bit intense but I really enjoyed learning about how they ended up there. This book is an intense read but definitely worth it in my opinion. I am certainly looking forward to book 2.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment